Makers of Sport Podcast #15
"Do you what you love, it will lead to great things, but it better be good."
Independent Designer & Illustrator Matt Stevens joins the show this week to discuss personal projects and how they can help us get better at our craft and possibly even lead to work from our dream clients.
Since joining the freelance world, Matt has worked with brands such as Facebook, Pinterest, NBA, WWE, Dunkin Donuts, Nike and more. We discuss his transition from employment as an unknown Charlotte, North Carolina agency creative director to making the jump into independence and becoming "Internet famous".
Matt also touches on the troubles of learning how to price for big brand work and how making side projects for fun lead to some of his dream clients such as Nike.
A golden nugget is shared about a fantastic email that the renown Nike sneaker designer and VP of Nike Design, Tinker Hatfield sent Matt after his MAX100 Project.
Finally, we talk entrepreneurship, The Designer Fund's Bridge Program and how creative people should found their own businesses and ideas.
- Matt Stevens
- Nike Freerun 2
- Nike Air Tech Challenge
- Nike Designers Marc Dolce, Denis Dekovic, and Mark Miner Hired by Adidas
- Nike Free Run+ Designer Mark Miner
- Max 100 Project
- Nike Air Trainer 1
- Aaron Draplin
- Nick Felton
- Dunkin Donuts April Fools Rebranding on Brand New
- Howler Magazine
- Episode 12 with Eight by Eight Magazine
- Eight by Eight Magazine
- Lotta Nieminen
- Adam Garcia, The Pressure
- Tad Carpenter, Illustrator
- The Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines
- The Designer Fund
- The Designer Bridge
- How Rules and Repetition Inspire Creativity, Bridge workshop by Matt Stevens